Facts about Woodford
Woodford appears in the 1086 Domesday Book as Wdefort, although its earliest recorded use is earlier in 1062 as Wudeford. The name is Old English and means ‘ford in or by the wood’. The ford refers to a crossing of the River Roding, which was replaced with a bridge by 1238; this led to the renaming of part of the district as Woodford Bridge by 1805. The old Saxon road, that followed the valley at this point. and utilised this ford, skirted the forest (which was to the north). The Saxon Road eventually reached north of the Forest and branched East and West at that point. Woodford by this chance was on the trade route to the further parts of Essex.
Woodford is a suburban town in North East London in the London Borough of Redbridge. It is divided into the neighbourhoods of Woodford Green, Woodford Bridge, Woodford Wells. The town is situated 9.5 miles (15.3 km) northeast of Charing Cross.
The area is served by two stations on the Central line of the London Underground: Woodford and South Woodford.